Business Needs for Cryptographic Technology in Japan’s Financial Industry
Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies
Bank of Japan
1. Cryptography and the banking industry
2. Migration from DES to triple DES and public key cryptography
3. The Japanese financial industry seldom uses cryptography
4. The Internet has stimulated interest in cryptography in Japan
5. Internet banking is emerging
6. Differences in payment practices between Japan and the US
7. Will the Japanese Banking Industry expand its use of cryptography?
This paper was prepared for the 1999 International Workshop on Practice and Theory in Public Key Cryptography (PKC’99), held by the Imai Laboratory, Institute of Industrial Science, the University of Tokyo on March 1-3, 1999. Views expressed in this paper are those of author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Bank of Japan or the Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies.